Assistant Store Manager - Western
|September 28, 2014 - November 23, 2014|
|Location:||South Bend, IN|
|Benefits:||Health, Vision, Life and Supplemental Insurance, 403(b), Paid Time Off|
|Employment Type:||Full Time|
|Client:||St. Vincent de Paul Society|
|Description:||This position is responsible for the overall efficiency and operations of the Western store location in the absence of, and in support of, the Store Manager. |
Hours for this position are Monday – Saturday 8:45 AM – 7:15 PM and every other Sunday 11:45 AM – 5:15 PM.
Our Western store location is new and in staffing development. This is a great opportunity to be part of the growth of St. Vincent de Paul Society of St. Joseph County!
Members of the Society of St. Vincent de Paul (or "Vincentians" ) are men and women who strive to grow spiritually by offering person-to-person service to individuals in need. We are young and old. Our members come in every shade of skin color. Some of us are wealthy, some are financially poor, but all of us are blessed with an awareness that our blessings (time, talent or treasure) are to be shared with our brothers and sisters in need.
The Society of St. Vincent de Paul offers tangible assistance to those in need on a person-to-person basis. It is this personalized involvement that makes the work of the Society unique. This aid may take the form of intervention, consultation, or often through direct dollar or in-kind service. An essential precept of the Society's work is to provide help while conscientiously maintaining the confidentiality and dignity of those who are served. The Society recognizes that it must assume, also, a role of advocacy for those who are defenseless or voiceless. Some 12 million persons are helped annually by Vincentians in the United States.
|Duties:||Common Responsibilities (Common to all St. Vincent de Paul positions)|
• Maintain regular attendance in accordance with department policy.
• Comply with all safety policies, practices and procedures. Report all unsafe activities to Director of Business Operations and Human Resources.
• Understand and comply with the policies of the St. Vincent de Paul Society Employee Handbook.
• Demonstrate commitment to customer and client service. Establish effective relationships with internal and external customers and clients, and respond to their needs.
• Perform duties as a team member in a manner supportive of department and Society procedures, policies and goals.
• Protect confidentiality of Society, customer and client information.
• Provide leadership to others through example and sharing of knowledge/skill.
• Communicate with others in a courteous and helpful manner.
• Perform other duties as assigned.
Duties and Responsibilities
Directly responsible for and involved with:
• Assume responsibility for the application of rules, regulations, policies and programs as directed by the Director of Thrift Operations.
• Trouble Shooting
• Opening and closing the thrift Store
• Assign projects and supervise the work of the assistant manager and staff.
• Working knowledge of the cash register, trouble shooting problems and order all register supplies
• Electronically deposit all charge and debit card sales daily
• Approve bills and invoices
• Prepare budget
• Reconcile registers and prepare bank deposit
• Repair and maintain building, parking lot and grounds assigned to the thrift store by the landlord.
• Purchase all equipment and supplies for the thrift store and staff
• Human resource liaison for thrift store staff
• Customer relations
• Train the Center for Homeless externs in the Transition to Work Program.
• Supervise all store personnel which includes but is not limited to paid employees, subsidized employees and volunteers.
• Foster and promote effective working relationships between all employees and volunteers
• Keep records on employee vacation, sick, personal and holiday time and usage.
• Conduct performance evaluations at designated intervals.
• Train, advise and manage personnel and volunteers
• Hire staff and in conjunction with HR dismiss staff.
Business and Office
• Educated on the health insurance and building insurance.
• Records retention and preparing reports and various studies as needed or requested by Director of Business Operations.
• Knowledge of and preparation for the annual budget
• Knowledge of and preparation for the annual audit
• Operate a profitable business.
• Deactivate & activate security alarms.
• Be on call list for during and after hours security issues.
• Open & lock the safe.
• Set up registers daily, and balance money in the registers and safe.
• Order and pickup change as needed.
• Run daily, weekly and monthly register reports as need by Director of Business Operations
• Run the cash register to ring up sales, enter correct sales price, bag the merchandise, and collect money, direct assistance vouchers, or process charge cards for goods sold.
• Provide assistance and good customer service to all customers. Resolve customer complaints.
• Make and count back change correctly.
• Fax documents to appropriate locations, and receive faxes for communicating information to staff.
• Prepare Brinks bags and complete Brinks book for deposit.
• Manage $100 petty cash.
• Take store inventory and order clothes, household goods, sporting goods, toys, etc. from central processing.
• Create & communicate the staff work schedule.
• Manage employee hours in Time force.
• Complete accident reports, unsatisfactory performance reports, and conduct disciplinary / performance improvement meetings.
• Perform the duties of Receiving, Cashier, and Furniture Sales.
• Sell jewelry and electronics out of display case.
• Work within budget.
• Read and understand financial reports.
|Qualifications:||To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each common and essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the physical and mental demands, work environment characteristics, and knowledge, skill, and/or ability required of this position. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.|
This position hires and terminates staff for this location. Keep base level employee files and records. Work with Human Resources to solve disciplinary concerns. Supervises Receiving, Cashiers, Sales Floor, Volunteers and work training employees.
Education and/or Experience
Associate\'s degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or six months to one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read, analyze, and interpret general business periodicals, professional journals, technical procedures, or governmental regulations. Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedure manuals. Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups of managers, clients, customers, and the general public.
Ability to add and subtract two digit numbers and to multiply and divide with 10’s and 100’s. Ability to perform these operations using units of American money and weight measurement, volume and distance. Must be able to count back change.
Ability to solve practical problems and deal with a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists. Ability to interpret a variety of instructions furnished in written, oral, diagram, or schedule form.
Personal computer skills, I iPad and Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel.
Certificates, Licenses, Registrations
• Must pass a background check.
Machines and Equipment Used
Computers , iPad, fax machine, printer, calculator/adding machine, utility knife, china markers, masking tape, air jack, dollies, shopping carts, canvas carts, vacuum cleaner, screw driver, batteries, air pump, common repair tools and cleaning supplies.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee will be required to frequently walk, stand, use hands to finger, handle or feel, and reach with hands and arms, stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl, talk or hear, and push and/or pull, and occasionally sit, climb or balance. The required weight lifted or force exerted is frequently up to 10 pounds, often up to 25 pounds, and occasionally up to 50 pounds. Special vision requirements are close vision, distance vision, color vision, peripheral vision, depth perception and ability to adjust focus.
While performing the duties of this position, the employee will occasionally be exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather), high, precarious places, fumes or airborne particles, outside weather conditions, extreme cold (non-weather), and risk of electrical shock. The typical noise level in the environment is moderate.
This job is no longer active. Please click here to see current job listings.